[haiku-development] Re: Attempts at #5481

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 19:20:31 +0200

On 2010-04-23 at 17:09:29 [+0200], Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 14:23, Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > On 2010-04-23 at 15:11:49 [+0200], Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> While feeling sort of proud at the whopping commit of r36419, I wanted
> >> to try #5481 -- providing a mechanism for the user to opt-in on which
> >> source archives to install (eg from the CD).
>
> > I've looked over the patch, but I don't like duplicate functionality. Why
> > not simply display the source archive packages along software packages?
>
> When implementing the build system aspect, Ingo commented "The source
> archives shouldn't be treated as packages when installing from CD.
> Wouldn't work anyway, if they aren't zip files."
> http://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/5110#comment:1 I'm guessing the intent
> is for the source archives to be copied over, as opposed to be
> extracted onto the destination volume.

Mmh, at least I thought that would be what one obviously wants. Not sure
though. The main reason for us including the sources is to avoid licensing
issues. So we wouldn't even have to offer an installation option -- a hint
that they are on the CD should suffice. Someone interested in the sources
might want them extracted, though. I don't really know. Opinions?

CU, Ingo