[haiku-development] Re: AppServer and Video Driver Question

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 06 May 2010 09:07:49 +0200

Am Donnerstag, den 06.05.2010, 08:54 +1000 schrieb David McPaul:
> On 6 May 2010 00:18, Gerald Zajac <zajacg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > When implementing a new video driver for Haiku, is implementing the
> > accelerated drawing functions and the hardware cursor functions in the video
> > driver worth the effort.  I ask this because the appserver has not used the
> > accelerated drawing function for about a year and a half, and AFAIK the
> > hardware cursor functions have never been used.
> >
> > Will the appserver ever used these functions again?
> >
> > With respect to the video drivers that I implemented (s3 and ati), drawing
> > was faster using the accelerated drawing functions.  When the accelerated
> > drawing functions are not used and a window is moved about the screen, the
> > user will see multiple images of the window before they are erased.  With an
> > older version of Haiku such as r28289 from Oct 23, 2008 which used the
> > accelerated drawing functions, the user does not see these multiple window
> > images.
>
> My understanding is that older video cards benefit from hardware
> accelleration but newer cards especially with newer cpus it can
> actually be slower.

The problem is just that someone needs to work on this, i.e. find the
issue pressing enough and have the motivation. I won't say that I am
100% happy with the app_server performance on my machines, but it works
well enough and I am looking more towards 3D acceleration for improvent
than anything else. If someone wants to work on using the old
acceleration hooks, I will certainly give advice and review patches if
necessary.

> > Concerning the cursor, the software cursor works fine except when the cursor
> > is placed in the window of the GL Teapot demo.  If the mouse is not moved,
> > the cursor disappears until the mouse is moved again.  Also when the cursor
> > is moved on the teapot, there is a black rectangle surrounding the mouse.
>
> I would think hardware cursor would be best for the normal cursor.
> Some apps might need more colors or such so we might just need a
> method to switch between them.

Totally agreed, using modern graphics card features for a 32 bit cursor
at least 64x64 pixels in size would be cool. But again, I don't find it
a pressing problem.

Best regards,
-Stephan