[haiku-development] App idea: Multilaunch / workspace manager

  • From: Johan Aires Rastén <johan@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2009 01:32:20 +0100

I have an idea for an app, which I don't have time to write myself.

Motivation: Workspaces are a good way to organize open windows so that those
related to the same task end up together. This is supposed to reduce desktop
clutter and provide a better work environment for the user. Haiku needs more
tools to make workspaces easier to use and more powerful.

Suggestion: Create an application that allows users to predefine a workspace
session with different apps to launch, their window positions,
documents/folders to open, background image etc. One could for example
create a session for Haiku development with a terminal window for compiling,
2 tiled PE, a tracker with /develop/headers/be/ open and a browser with the
BeBook in the background. After that this session could be started in the
same way you start a single application. Another possibility would be to
implement cloning sessions, if I wanted to have almost the same environment
for different development projects.

User interface: The optimal, that I can think of, but also probably
difficult to implement would be if the user could press a button and all the
running applications were saved together with their positions and open
documents where applicable. After that he/she would be presented with a
minuature workspace showing the saved windows so application could be
removed, changed or added (for example by drag and drop).

A secondary solution might be to start with an empty miniature workspace and
just letting the user add programs and documents/folders through some
interface. Pretty much anything goes as long as it doesn't involve editing
text files :)

Potential problems: AFAIK Haiku doesn't control initial positioning of
windows (Which IMO it should, but I'll rant about that some other day) but
maybe that could be solved using message passing.