[haiku-development] Re: Anyboot

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 00:37:09 +0200

On 2010-04-25 at 23:52:03 [+0200], Andreas Färber <andreas.faerber@xxxxxx>
wrote:
> mmlr requested some feedback on the anyboot images at BeGeistert,
> maybe a little late but here we go: :-)
>
> The DefineBuildProfile comments in MiscRules lack mention of "anyboot-
> image", and so does the UserBuildConfig.ReadMe file. So it's a little
> tricky finding out how to build anyboot images yourself.

Good point, those need to be updated.

> The anyboot images worked fine under QEMU master, both as -cdrom and
> as -hda.
> However naming the image with .iso extension, as suggested, and
> burning it under OSX v10.5 did not result in a bootable r36474 CD-RW,
> as tested on three different machines. Does it require special support
> from the recording software?

None that I know of. Burning with K3b as a CD image (even without renaming
it to *.iso) produces a usable CD here.

> Or is some manual post-processing necessary?

Nope. Obviously, if it works with "qemu -cdrom" the actual CD content just
needs to end up resembling the image exactly. Maybe the OS X burning
program tried to do something "clever"?

> The same revision as cd-image works okay.

That one is a real ISO9660 image though. My only guess is that the program
you used somehow "recognizes" the image and tried to do what it expects you
would want (as opposed to what you actually want it to do).

If you have cdrecord at hand, that should definitely get the job done.

CU, Ingo