[haiku-development] Alternatives to plug-in sniffing

  • From: Christopher Humphries <redeye4@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 03:16:31 +0200

Hi all,

I had some problems with the sniffing functions in the media plug-ins.

I realise that for streaming to work properly the plug-ins need to be
adapted to make do with a BDataIO when the data isn’t seekable, but it’s
still a problem when only a small chunk of data is available.

Asking each plug-in to sniff the data works on files, where seeking is a
simple matter, but for live streams, seeking is tricky. If the file is
small, seeking in the saved data can work, but bulkier content, e.g., HD
video and DVD data, takes up several gigabytes.

In my opinion, it would be much easier to optionally be able to directly ask
for a certain plug-in, using the device API (libdvdnav can return accurate
format data) or the media MIME type, and avoid the format sniffing.

--
Cheers,
Christopher