[haiku-development] Re: AltGr Key, key_map, and the US-International Keyboard

  • From: Rimas Kudelis <rq@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2012 08:03:44 +0300

Hi,

2012.04.02 23:58, John Scipione wrote:
I am afraid that someone needs to build a better version of
KeymapSwticher, integrate it into Haiku as a replicant

I was going to suggest that! :)

, and allow the
user to select multiple keymaps at install time to fix this issue. You
could select a primary keymap as well as 1 or more additional keymaps
from the Installer (or ReadOnly Boot Prompt). If you select any
additional keymaps the KeymapSwitcher replicant is installed and
automatically launched at startup for you, otherwise not. That way if
you use just one keymap you don't have to be bothered with the
KeymapSwitcher replicant, which is common for us unilingual US users,
but, if you really need it, which is common for our Cyrillic-using
friends in the East, it is automatically there for you all the time.
Only in the case that you select Russian as your sole keymap at
install time will you have to solve the mystery of how to install
KeymapSwitcher via an optional package afterwords.

I would add US as a secondary layout by default for cases where no Latin-based layout has been chosen. This would fix the problem of Cyrillic users not being able to type Latin into Terminal.

By the way, what do you think about replicating the US layout in AltGr and AltGr+Shift layers of Russian layout?

Also, IMO, KeymapSwitcher should become an integral part of the OS. It should be installed by default, regardless of whether the user has chosen one or more keymaps. It wouldn't hurt install size that bad, would it?

Rimas