[haiku-development] Re: Alpha3 : switch to bugfixing mode today

  • From: Niels Sascha Reedijk <niels.reedijk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 16:49:15 +0200

Hello,

2011/5/16 Michael Lotz <mmlr@xxxxxxxx>:
> Hi
>
>> > See r41527. There's no real need for special builds. It was
>> > available
>> > for testing already through the opt-in "Enable IO-APIC" switch, but
>> > special builds and special options will always see rather limited
>> > testing.
>>
>> That's why I was thinking that we could try to get some testing
>> pre-alpha 3, beyond the range of general nightly-build testers. In
>> order to prevent that alpha 3, which might be our 'release' for a
>> longer period whether or not we like that, has the disadvantage that
>> it does not work on a set of widely-used hardware that we don't test.
>
> That's why I didn't enable it by default right away, but by now we've
> got many of the widely used platforms tested. The alpha candidates are
> supposed to be tested on a wide variety of systems, so I'd really like
> them to default to on. If in candidate testing it turns up that there
> are many issues then it can still be disabled for the actual release.
>
>> The whole thing can be marketed as the message 'contribute an hour
>> and
>> a CD to Haiku, test this image.' Maybe we can include a script that
>> tries to phone home the syslog.
>
> That should be the goal of the alpha release itself, shouldn't it?

Ideally yes, but so far our alpha releases stay on for a longer period
of time, and they are usually the releases that are tried by new
users. So I would say that if we can help the stability, we could help
that.

Anyway, my alternative is that as soon as a new nightly gets available
that includes the IO-APIC stuff, we post a news item and invite people
to try it out.