[haiku-development] Re: Alpha3 : switch to bugfixing mode today

  • From: "Michael Lotz" <mmlr@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 11:39:13 +0200

Hi

> > See r41527. There's no real need for special builds. It was
> > available
> > for testing already through the opt-in "Enable IO-APIC" switch, but
> > special builds and special options will always see rather limited
> > testing.
>
> That's why I was thinking that we could try to get some testing
> pre-alpha 3, beyond the range of general nightly-build testers. In
> order to prevent that alpha 3, which might be our 'release' for a
> longer period whether or not we like that, has the disadvantage that
> it does not work on a set of widely-used hardware that we don't test.

That's why I didn't enable it by default right away, but by now we've
got many of the widely used platforms tested. The alpha candidates are
supposed to be tested on a wide variety of systems, so I'd really like
them to default to on. If in candidate testing it turns up that there
are many issues then it can still be disabled for the actual release.

> The whole thing can be marketed as the message 'contribute an hour
> and
> a CD to Haiku, test this image.' Maybe we can include a script that
> tries to phone home the syslog.

That should be the goal of the alpha release itself, shouldn't it?

Regards
Michael