[haiku-development] Re: Alpha3 : switch to bugfixing mode today

  • From: Niels Sascha Reedijk <niels.reedijk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 11:00:09 +0200

Hello,

2011/5/16 Michael Lotz <mmlr@xxxxxxxx>:
>> Hi,

>> > Nice. So I support the idea to force it on at least for a testing
>> > period
>> > even more. If there are no negative reports, we should enable it
>> > for the
>> > alpha, since obviously it is capable of doing some good.
>>
>> Should we make a special test build available and publish a news item
>> on our website? It could be a simple live-cd. It would increase the
>> coverage, and we would find what hardware configurations are still
>> not
>> working, or stopped working.
>
> See r41527. There's no real need for special builds. It was available
> for testing already through the opt-in "Enable IO-APIC" switch, but
> special builds and special options will always see rather limited
> testing.

That's why I was thinking that we could try to get some testing
pre-alpha 3, beyond the range of general nightly-build testers. In
order to prevent that alpha 3, which might be our 'release' for a
longer period whether or not we like that, has the disadvantage that
it does not work on a set of widely-used hardware that we don't test.

The whole thing can be marketed as the message 'contribute an hour and
a CD to Haiku, test this image.' Maybe we can include a script that
tries to phone home the syslog.

Just a thought,