[haiku-development] Re: Alpha-1 merging and status

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 14:25:45 -0400

On Sat, Sep 12, 2009 at 11:27 AM, Michael Lotz <mmlr@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Are these fully patched or do they contain the patches required to
> build on Haiku? The thing is that the GPL requires us to provide the
> source to get exactly the binaries we provide. So these sources really
> should be fully patched so they build out of the box. I know it is a
> bit of work, but we are really required to provide these as soon as we
> distribute the binaries, so this is a blocker.

This was my thought as well, though it is very annoying.

One point I would make is that this effort is only required for GPL
software obviously, so if there are any optional packages that are not
GPL let's not waste the time. As an example, Python has a much less
restrictive license:

http://www.python.org/psf/license/

Perl is dual licensed GPL and Artistic, and the Artistic also does not
seem to require releasing source for simple ports like ours:

http://dev.perl.org/licenses/artistic.html

Pe was released BSD, so again we don't need to do this for it.

So I guess the usual suspects where we need this are all the GNU tools
and libraries, and then the other software can each be checked.

--
Regards,
Ryan