[haiku-development] Re: Alpha 1 praises / vim gripes.

  • From: Caitlin Shaw <rogueeve@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 11:59:56 -0700

> My $0.02: If vi were absent, I would be annoyed. If vi were absent and not
> available via pacman I would be very, very annoyed. Up to date doesn't
> matter, it's just the occasion of being offline somewhere and assuming it
> was going to be there and discovering it isn't.

Personally, I do not care if it is vim, or nano, or joe, or whatever,
but for just this reason I would suggest that some sort of command line
editor be available by default. And, everyone should be certain which
one it is, so we're don't have to try typing one name after the other
(i.e. it should be consistent as much as possible across releases). Yes,
there is no command-line only mode in Haiku, but there is a command
line, and when you're working at the command line, you sometimes need to
edit text files. Some small, simple, yet functional and easy to use
editor should be available for this.