[haiku-development] Re: Aliens

  • From: scott mc <scottmc2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 10:19:23 -0800

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 8:09 AM, Christopher R. Halbersma
<chalbersma.12@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> For anyone that was wondering I did actually get around to porting some
> software to Haiku.  I noticed that Haiku had the sdl system in it and
> figured that was a good thing to test.  So I compiled a small game called
> aliens just to familiarize myself with haiku's build process.  You can find
> the description here (http://www.libsdl.org/projects/aliens/) it's nothing
> flash but If anyone wants a formal port I can make one.
> I realize it isn't anything too useful but it was more to familiarize myself
> with the system than to make any large attempt to port a major piece of
> software.

This is a good way to get familiar with the build of ported apps.
There's a ton of SDL related games and apps out there that can be
checked and posted to BeBtis and HaikuWare if you feel up to that.

> But on to the real question, are haikuports actually used?  I noticed that
> most of them don't have valid build instructions included and that it can't
> handle dependencies.
>
> CRH

Haikuporter uses the .bep files we've been checking into svn.
Haikuporter is still being developed but it mostly working now.  I'd
only reccomend it's use for porters as it still needs some work.  The
goal is not to have it automatically handle dependencies, but you can
put in a list of dependencies in the .bep file which will then prompt
the user warning that they need them or this won't work.
If you haven't already done so try using haikuporter and then try
creating a .bep file for aliens.  I don't see aliens listed on
gentoo-portage.  I assume this is a game similiar to space invaders?
If so then it would probably fit under: games-arcade.
I usually try building things using gcc2.  If you find cases where
they only build with gcc4 be sure to make a note of that.
-scottmc