[haiku-development] Re: Advice needed on how to solve an issue

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2009 23:26:08 +0100

On 2009-12-27 at 20:07:47 [+0100], Oliver Tappe <zooey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 2009-12-27 at 18:53:29 [+0100], PulkoMandy <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I'm looking at the following issue :
> > http://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/1586
> >
> > I'm not sure how to handle it. What do you think : is it better to modify
> > ctype.h to use ICU and make toupper/tolower and friends do the right
> > thing, or is it better to modify query.cpp to call the locale kit directly
> > ? or should I do both ?
> >
> > ctype.h is expected to follow POSIX locales according to linux manpages,
> > so it would make sense to make it use ICU.
>
> Yes, I think so, too. All the locale-related stuff should be handled by ICU,
> we only need to decide if it's ok that libroot depends on one (or more) of
> the ICU libs or if we should avoid that to reduce the time it takes to load
> tiny apps.

Unless the ICU libs use heavy static initialization or require many symbols
to be resolved, I don't think they would add significantly to the loading
time. If they are huge libraries, our naive preloading and pre-mapping
strategy might slow things down unnecessarily, though. I'd suggest to simply
try and measure how the loading time changes. I'd also recommend to measure a
multi-job Haiku image build.

CU, Ingo