[haiku-development] Re: Adding screensavers and fonts

  • From: Humdinger <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2014 09:11:04 +0100

Hi!

On 17/01/2014, Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Anyway, how about letting the fonts tab in Appearance accept drag&drop
> of font files which are then automatically installed. Furthermore, we
> could have a "Open font installation directory" button. I think while
> the former is quite hidden, it's also convenient, and the latter is
> there to educate the user how things work.

This would be an acceptable compromise. Still, the installation of
fonts doesn't quite fit in the Appearance panel.
Provided we do it anyway: We have two folders to consider,
/system/non-packaged/data/fonts/ and ~/config/non-packaged/data/fonts.
I guess that would demand two buttons: "Open system fonts folder" and
"Open user fonts folder"?
Dropping a font would open an alert where to install it, system/user?

Not too elegant, but possible.

How about a Tracker add-on "Install font" (which, too, will open that
system/user alert)? The Tracker add-on could also be the preferred app
for fonts, so it's also called on double-click.

Uninstalling fonts would still be a bit hidden...
I still think the best solution would be a stand alone app á la
FontBoy, maybe in combination with the CharacterMap prefs.

Regards,
Humdinger

     Deutsche Haiku News  -  Haiku Gazette
       http://haiku-gazette.blogspot.com