[haiku-development] Re: Adding attributes to media files with MediaPlayer (volume, etc.)

  • From: "Jonas Sundström" <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2009 19:50:38 +0200 CEST

Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 2:30 AM,
> Humdinger<humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > What I would find even more useful are attributes
> > for setting bookmarks/chapters and a last_position
> > that's set when exiting MediaPlayer. Of course,
> > MediaPlayer would have to be adapted to use these things.
>
> I definitely have had thoughts about setting a last_position
> for videos, but I'm not sure if it would get annoying.

What I would do is to always save the current position when
quitting/stopping/pausing, and offer a menu item and shortcut
to jump to that position.

Neither of
- automatically jumping to the last position
- always asking the user if last position is desired
- trying to guess based on media type and length
is good default behaviour for all media and all uses.

> Of course it could be turned off and could be configured to
> not save the position if you are within a certain percentage
> of the end (where credits are on movies and TV shows.)

I think the percentage heuristic is a bad idea. It's an
assumption that is often not true, and saving the last position
just some of the time makes the app behaviour less predictable.

Just in case the concept of in-point/out-point got mixed
up with last position, let me stress that the movable in-
point/out-point widgets of R5's MediaPlayer progress slider
and the associated attributes can not and should not be
used to remember position within a file. These are separate
things.

In-point--out-point is a -range- of interest. (scope?)

file:
start <= in-point <= out-point <= end

Last position is a point within that range.
in-point <= position <= out-point

which in the common case equals
file start <= positition <= file end

A last played position can be saved silently, always.
Saving it doesn't mean it has to be used on next viewing.

The in-/out-points should only be set interactively by
the user, and always obeyed on next viewing.

/Jonas.