[haiku-development] Re: Adding RDEFs to non-binary files

  • From: Pete Goodeve <pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2015 23:58:22 -0800

On Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 10:20:45PM -0500, Augustin Cavalier wrote:
> On 2/26/2015 10:14 PM, Pete Goodeve wrote:
> >If you xres onto an executable, you just get resources tagged on
> >to it, don't you?  Not actual attributes? So you still don't have any
> >available attributes from the RDEF.  (Or is there some feature I
> >don't know about?)
>
> Correct yet incorrect. XRES adds onto the ELF file, but then when you
> run "mimeset -f <file>" to get the vector icon, it copies all the XRES
> information into attributes (try running listattr -l before and after
> running mimeset manually to notice the difference). Which is why running
> XRES on another binary and copying the attributes works.

Ah, yes, but as far as I can tell, mimeset *only* 'attributizes' the
"BEOS:..." ones it knows about.  Something like "SYS:NAME", or any
other custom attribute, will not get transferred.

> I just need the BEOS:FILE_TYPES, SYS:NAME, and BEOS:ICON attributes in
> particular.

I guess BEOS:FILE_TYPES is the tricky one, because it's a message,
so I can't think of any way of easily extracting it from either a
resource or an RDEF, or creating it directly.

I actually had a similar problem way back with my xicon scripts.
They need FILE_TYPES tagged on for the Tracker to handle them,
so I have to keep a handy copy and tag them on to any new script.
I think I did pretty much what you did: used FileTypes to put it in
an executable, then copied the attribute to a master script.

Probably an opportunity for a new utility...

        -- Pete --