[haiku-development] AW: Re: Package Management [was Re: What's the status of Haiku?]

  • From: Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2014 09:59:25 +0200

Fredrik wrote:
> > And yes, the first thing I had to do to get some of the stuff I use
> > transferred to PM was to set up my own /boot/common.
> If I recal correctly common was removed just before PM was introduced.
> It was discussed a lot but was not adding any vital function that can be in
> home or system. Now with PM this are less neede. The only mention of
> needing /boot/common was if a company would need to use it, they can
> now use PM instead and make there own repository :)

You got that wrong. The reason for a /boot/common was a clean separation of
system files vs. other installed software (for all users).
However, it turned out that there simply is no such clean separation; you'd
have dependencies in both directions which makes the whole thing unfeasible.

> > But this is the problem, isn't it?  There is no discussion -- only
> > 'fiat'.

Please consult the list archives before making stupid claims like this. The
world doesn't just stand still when you don't look.
I really tried to defend /boot/common, but in the end, I had to give up on the
idea, as it just couldn't work out.

Bye,
   Axel.