[haiku-development] Re: ATA vs. IDE resolved?

  • From: Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 08:09:10 -0700

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 2:12 AM, Axel Dörfler<axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Niels Reedijk <niels.reedijk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I might have missed it, but up to now there hasn't been a decision on
>> ATA vs. IDE. I doubt that this is a matter to be voted over, but
>> rather one that requires a technical discussion between those that
>> know.
>>
>> What I do suggest is to resolve the question which one to use ASAP,
>> especially if it turns out to be ATA, in which case the nightlies can
>> be switched so that it can be tested by a larger group of people.
>
> Both have their pros and cons:
> ATA:
> - not as well tested
> - does make my EeePC hang (during ATA reset)
> + works on my desktop, where IDE does not (crashes)
> + solved an interrupt race condition in ata_adapter
> + cleaner/simpler code
>
> IDE:
> - does crash on some hardware
> + supposed to be faster than ATA
> + is well tested on a variety of hardware
>
> So our options would be: a) fix interrupt race, and crashing bug in
> IDE, or b) have ATA more tested, and resolve issues on EeePC (and
> probably others that show up during testing).
> Oh, and we would need to find someone actually doing the work :-)

It seems ATA is already working on more machines (this is my personal
experience, as I have 2-3 machines that fail to boot at all with IDE,
and every machine I've tested works with ATA so far).

As far as testing:
I've been using ATA exclusively on all machines I test now... for
months. And I know I'm not alone.

But it seems we can't get it widely tested without actually switching
to it by default :P I have heard several people ask why it's not the
default in IRC. Is there *really* a good answer for them?

> - does make my EeePC hang (during ATA reset)

This is still the only instance I've heard where it doesn't work on a
machine while IDE does ;)

I believe using ATA will make a much better option for Alpha
personally - even in its current state.

- Urias