[haiku-development] Re: ARM port status and info

  • From: johannes <johanneswi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 05 Feb 2010 06:00:51 +0000

Excerpts from PHilip RUshik's message of Fri Feb 05 04:39:53 +0000 2010:
> On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 9:26 PM, johannes <johanneswi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Excerpts from Matt Madia's message of Thu Feb 04 21:05:39 +0000 2010:
> > > >
> > > I noticed on your blog[0], you mentioned a fix for ARM "Managed to get
> > > it to build (with a small fix for a renamed type)".  At least on
> > > FreeBSD, arch_vm_translation_map.cpp fails to build as
> > > 'vm_translation_map' isn't defined.  Would you care to submit a patch
> > > for this at dev.haiku-os.org?
> > >

> > It's because of Ingo's resent changes I did not yet change the (mostly stub
> > :( ) code to reflect those changes... I wanted to do that after my exam I
> > just passed ;) but since it's already done even better ;)
> > The port is not dead but I have not done much lately because of university
> > but I plan to take up work again... but can't say when yet...

> > "user_menu:
> >
> > Cool stuff ;) I should realy buy a beagleboard since debugging is easyer
> > and more people have it ;)
> > As I see you use the framebuffer console afaik it does not yet work
> > corectly together with the mmu setup stuff yet...
> > Can you tell me what you got befor user_menu:enter ? because it should not
> > get to this point since this indicates that it failed to find the kernel for
> > example...
> >

> > > Congrats

> > looks

> > current
> > > >
> > > Basically, the Arm Verdex was targeted as Qemu supports it. But, the
> > > Arm Overo (Water iirc) + Tobi expansion board are being targeted as
> > > real-hardware.
> > >

> > Yep it never realy worked on the overo board since I had trubles with the
> > serial output stopping after some bytes...
> > It booted more or less on the verdex board in the emulator..
> >
> > > Hopefully François or Johannes can comment more, as they've worked on the
> > port.
> > >
> > > Cheers
> > > mmadia
> > >
> > > [0] : http://a-hackers-craic.blogspot.com/
> >

> It seems I'm the only one that can't successfully build anything besides GCC
> for the arm. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I do have real
> hardware, but not something that can be purchased (My company's video
> phone), so I don't expect it to be supported, I can use qemu, however. I
> have some experience working with and programming the ARM due to my job.
> Maybe I could be helpful, who knows.

As I wrote the building of the kernel itself does not work right now... Michael
Zucchi has obviously fixed the missing declarations so that it builds again.
It's not yet in the svn so you either have to wait for Michael to release his
patch or quickly fix it yourself (the vm code that changed inside the kernel
did not realy work yet so empty stubs are enough right now)
In the blog he also writes that he fixed the code to use the new mmu-table
format (but I don't know if this is absolutely needed since my reading of the
documentation leads me to believe that the Cortex A8 does still support the old
format)