[haiku-development] Re: ARM port status and info

  • From: johannes <johanneswi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 05 Feb 2010 02:26:58 +0000

Excerpts from Matt Madia's message of Thu Feb 04 21:05:39 +0000 2010:
> On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 07:42, Michael Zucchi <notzed@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Now that the build tools are building on ARM - *yay* - i've been poking
> > around with Haiku on a BeagleBoard.
> >
> I noticed on your blog[0], you mentioned a fix for ARM "Managed to get
> it to build (with a small fix for a renamed type)".  At least on
> FreeBSD, arch_vm_translation_map.cpp fails to build as
> 'vm_translation_map' isn't defined.  Would you care to submit a patch
> for this at dev.haiku-os.org?

It's because of Ingo's resent changes I did not yet change the (mostly stub :(
) code to reflect those changes... I wanted to do that after my exam I just
passed ;) but since it's already done even better ;)
The port is not dead but I have not done much lately because of university but
I plan to take up work again... but can't say when yet...

> > Anyway, to cut a long story short I have it booting up until "user_menu:
> > enter" but then it crashes (no stdout i presume).

Cool stuff ;) I should realy buy a beagleboard since debugging is easyer and
more people have it ;)
As I see you use the framebuffer console afaik it does not yet work corectly
together with the mmu setup stuff yet...
Can you tell me what you got befor user_menu:enter ? because it should not get
to this point since this indicates that it failed to find the kernel for
example...

> Congrats
>
> > I'm wondering what the status is of the ARM code at the moment (it looks
> > pretty rough, at best), if anybody is actively working on it, and where
> > things are headed.
> >
> > And any hints on where things need work to advance or stabilise the current
> > state of the port?
> >
> Basically, the Arm Verdex was targeted as Qemu supports it. But, the
> Arm Overo (Water iirc) + Tobi expansion board are being targeted as
> real-hardware.

Yep it never realy worked on the overo board since I had trubles with the
serial output stopping after some bytes...
It booted more or less on the verdex board in the emulator..