[haiku-development] Re: ACPI and IRQ descriptors

  • From: "Clemens Zeidler" <clemens.zeidler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2010 09:03:04 +1200

Am 05.07.2010, 19:58 Uhr, schrieb Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

"Clemens Zeidler" <clemens.zeidler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
So coding style (for example ***)) vs maintainability? I prefer the
second
in this case.

It's not just about coding style, it's also about usability,
compatibility, and clobbering the global name space (which our current
ACPI.h does as well, though).
In order to ensure backwards compatibility, it's a good idea not to use
upstream things that you don't control directly in a public header.
However, why not keep the rest of the file private, and do not export
it in ACPI.h, ie. only add the functions to the module? As long as it's
only used internally, there is nothing wrong in using them directly.

Yes thats true, I think in this case we can also clean up the haiku ACPI.h header a bit and refer to include the original private headers instead. I thought about to make the acpi calls a little bit nicer, e.g. directly return a pointer to the correct data struct instead a void pointer, this would not be possible then but it is also not really necessary.

        Clemens