[haiku-development] Re: A word about shortcuts on non-default keymaps. ( Was: [Haiku-commits] r23791 - haiku/trunk/src/apps/terminal )

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2008 09:52:43 +0100 CET

"François Revol" <revol@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > scancode-based shortcuts are more preferable than symbolic ones.
> Not for us...

Maybe we can find some common solution here: if the shortcuts are
alphanumeric, their position on the current keymap is taken. If the
current keymap does not contain those symbols, or the shortcut is not
alphanumeric, their scancode (ie. location on the physical keyboard) is
used instead.
How does that sound?

> > The package contains KeymapSwitcher application that usually lives
> > in
> > Deskbar's shelf and input_server filter to hook hotkeys and perform
> > keymap switching.
> IMO, some code like this should be merged into the Input Method icon
> menu, as a submenu to the Roman method item. This icon is only shown
> if
> at least 1 input method is loaded. It should probably me made
> permanent, or settable in the Keymap preferences (maybe have an "Add
> list" button and have the icon displayed when the list is >1 item).
> (yes the submenu is always available even when an input method is
> selected, so you can always switch keymaps there).

+1 :-)

Bye,
   Axel.