[haiku-development] A slight can't-get-there-from-here...

  • From: pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 18:39:37 -0700

I've hit a known bug (#3690) that has sort of stopped me in my tracks.
I've been using a (fat) flash-drive to transfer stuff to the ThinkPad,
and it's had no trouble, but today -- having packaged up a working xicon
there -- I wanted to get it *off* the machine onto the flash.  Immediate
KDL.  (The PANIC message was exactly the same as in the bug report.)
BTW, I tried a few times (with a recovered flash): both a direct drag&drop
and a 'cp' from the Terminal gave the same panic.

As noted before, I don't have any network on the laptop, so as far as I
can see the USB-stick is my only interchange route.  I have the Haiku
image drive, which I suppose I could write to, but I can't read that
from Linux (can I?).  Any suggestions?  (Is this a new bug?  There's
an older build on the machine I could try...)

[Looking at the bug tracker, I see that others had to reformat the flash
when accessing from Windows.  I didn't (from Linux).  As others report,
the 'written' file was shown with the correct length but was unreadable,
and after trying to read it couldn't be deleted.  However, unmounting and
remounting allowed its removal, and the drive seems quite back to normal]

                        -- Pete --