[haiku-development] Re: A modest (FatELF) proposal

  • From: François Revol <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2012 17:09:00 +0100

On 30/11/2012 15:01, Ingo Weinhold wrote:
> On 11/29/2012 06:46 PM, François Revol wrote:
>> This would allow compiling something with gcc4 and another one with gcc2
>> at the same time without caring about synchronization, or (but that's
>> not really clean) compiling C99 C files with gcc4 and the GUI C++ files
>> with gcc2 to make apps usable as replicants (thinking about NetSurf
>> there, I've been told to do this several times).
>
> Then let me tell you not to do that. gcc 2 code should be considered
> incompatible with gcc 4 code. If the code is in different shared objects
> the different tool chain and runtime loader behavior (symbolic
> linking/symbol preemption) might cause trouble. Moreover, we might not
> keep gcc 2 and gcc 4 system interfaces (e.g. structs) compatible.

What I told them, but they don't really seem to get it...

Anyway I'll probably drop gcc2 support for NetSurf, the only real
use-case for that is a replicant on the desktop, but the code isn't
working correctly yet (crashes on removal).
Though it'd be cool to demo... but they keep adding C99 things and don't
want to support C89 and keep reminding me of that (while they have no
problem supporting RISC-OS which is way older than BeOS :-P)

BeHappy can be compiled with gcc4 and use NS as a gcc4 replicant anyway.
Hopefully that'll keep them happy and allow me to push for other ugly
things instead :D

François.