[haiku-development] Re: 64 bit

  • From: Michael Mounteney <gate03@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2014 20:45:05 +1000

On Wed, 10 Sep 2014 12:12:19 +0200
pulkomandy <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In the modern world we can't consider the OS serious without a decent
> web browser. This is one of the most basic requirements for an
> operating system. Sure, it would be very nice if someone else took
> care of it, but no one wants to. So I had to get my hands dirty and
> do that work myself.

+1.  I'm looking to use Haiku as my desktop, but while it lacks many
applications, I need `compatibility' get-outs such as:

1.  ssh to a GNU/Linux box to do my own Haskell-based development.
I accept that Haskell on Haiku is a low priority.

2.  some mechanism to use Linux-based graphical applications:  IMAP
email, RSS and Twitter.  One day I hope these applications will be
available natively on Haiku but while they aren't, or are in alpha, I
need a way to use them.  One way is VNC but it's always been slow and
low-resolution for me (as well as not very well integrated with the
rest of the desktop) so a good web browser talking to Squirrelmail,
Selfoss or Horde would let me start using Haiku -- and the sooner I
start using it, the sooner I will start contributing.

Michael.