[haiku-development] Re: 64 bit

  • From: varjosanomat <varjosanomat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2014 12:28:51 +0300

> The goal can limit and the new stuff too, simple work at first then
> focused on stuff. eg:
> - remove arch and plattform we are not 64bit
>
> - join one compiler eg: llvm/clang llvm are a good idea and give place
> for more future stuff
>
> - cleaning source tree and split the "userland stuff, not the
> developerland (compiler, editor etc) eg: apps -> can separately, and
> packages system , webkit, can separately -> src/os.. ; src/apps/..,
> src/webkit/..; src/server/packages/..;
> etc. the results are a clean system from the OS design: KERNEL ->
> SERVERS -> KIDS -> [APPS]
>
> - redesign the UI, its better to work on modern colors and shapes with
> alpha (or fake alpha) Desktop and UI ideas from chrome os, eg. the
> desktop panel are nice and the window management.
>
> - make the kits more usable and stable, so that app developer work on apps.
>
> We can make more then now, its funny to make it better, and this os
> need good apps and this os are free and this os are altanativ, because
> it is modern.
> We can say we are  small but complete with less of loc and a vision.
>
> Talking is  easy, work are harder, so what will we do?
> Let us open a new code tree with a new goals and vision and we will
> see whats happens.
>
>> Simon
> Ralf

If you have read the mailing list carefully, the option of forking haiku to do
your own version of it has been presented many, many times over in the last few
days. I would recommend you to do just that, then work on _all_ the items you
presented, find people who are willing to invest countless hours of unpaid
development time to make something out of your ideas. After a few years,
resurface with the brilliant thing as a true champion who was right all along.
It’s simple as ABC!

If however, you are like me with no patches or code to contribute, sit silent
and watch the haiku caravan go. The project has many good moments and exciting
developments, it’s also fun to be an observer, i have enjoyed this ride from
the very beginning, it’s been great! =)

Cheers,

Sami
Hoodownr