[haiku-development] Re: 24 h change was (Re: Re: Small Time preflet patch)

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 12:48:44 +0200

Julun wrote (2007-10-17, 12:34:24 [+0200]):
> Hi,
>
> Stephan Assmus schrieb:
> > Fredrik Modéen wrote (2007-10-02, 12:28:09 [+0200]):
> >> Don't know if we want this but how about selecting 24 h in Time
> >> preflet changes tracker and deskbar to 24h etc? are this posbile to do
> >> today?
> >
> > I would welcome this change very much.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > -Stephan
> >

> while looking for a way to do this, i would like to ask for some opinions
> on that. should the settings move a way from Deskbar and Tracker in to
> the Time preflet? if so, would it be the best way to invent a new
> settings file, like time_settings in user settings dir and make deskbar
> and tracker read this file. have both watching this file for changes? do
> this changes only for target HAIKU?
>
> this could also be convenient for other apps that are interested in the
> systems time settings if properly documented.

The first part sounds nice. Couldn't there be some kind of notification for
this? I have not thought where and how to do it (eventually, this would be
part of the local kit I guess), but each interested app having to implement
the file watching sounds a bit heavy. A message arriving at a specified
handler/messenger after registering for notification "somewhere" sounds
much nicer. Maybe iterative development? At first, implement a central
notification mechanism for Tracker/Deskbar only which can later be
transformed into a public API?

Best regards,
-Stephan