[haiku-development] Re: #1222: Acknowledging the third party copyrights

  • From: "François Revol" <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2008 20:07:43 +0200 CEST

> On 2008-04-06 at 18:55:03 [+0200], Niels Reedijk <
> niels.reedijk@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> >
> > Scottmc has started compiling a list of copyrights that our base
> > distribution currently uses. I have been thinking on an alternative
> > 'merely' listing the copyrights in AboutSystem. I think it might be
> > better idea to have a specialized copyright file in the subdir of
> > every package. This copyright file would be nothing more than a
> > struct
> > instance (in C/C++), with a number of fields in it. When this
> > copyright file resides with the package, then it might easily be
> > updated when the package is.
> >
> > The idea is that the build system concatenates all these files, and
> > that AboutSystem would be able to use this large set of data to
> > generate a nice view of the packages and their copyrights. So in
> > the
> > Jamfile there would be a syntax like:
> >
> > AddCopyright : coreutils.copyright ;
> >
> > And with some jam-magic AboutSystem will contain a licenses.cpp
> > file
> > which it can parse.
> >
> > Two questions:
> > 1. Is this build-system wise doable? Ingo?
>
> Sure. There should be an association between the copyright file and
> the
> installed files, though. Otherwise we'd have copyrights in
> AboutSystem for
> everything that's in the repository, not just the stuff on the image.

That's exactly what I meant to do when I added the query code to
AboutSystem.
We already have an attribute to put that (the version info), so let's
use it.
I restricted it to apps/ but it should actually probably just query on
the whole volume, maybe filter first the Haiku build things, and build
a list and merge duplicates (to avoid having 10 libs or bins add 10
times the same copyright).

OTH, one might question the legality of this (building a list at
runtime)...
but in the end the copyright is already there in the image, just spread
out.

François.