[haiku-depot-web] Re: User Authentication

  • From: Andrew Lindesay <apl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-depot-web@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2014 07:31:38 +1200

Kia ora Richie!

I had considered OpenID as a mechanism to implement SSO, but this won't (easily) work for non-web systems and so might be a bit limiting. Also there is the problem of having to integrate with these larger third parties.

I had not seen "Crowd" product before, but I'm not _totally_ sure I understand what benefit it would bring us in our circumstances. It appears there is an admin GUI which is of benefit, but otherwise it seems that one could just as easily talk directly to LDAP if that is ultimately the repository for the authentication data in our case? Have you deployed this elsewhere and can explain the benefits?

Regards;

On 3/09/14 6:16 am, Richie Nyhus wrote:
Kia ora Andrew,

Have you thought about using Atlassian Crowd on top of LDAP?

Haiku should qualify for Atlassian's Free for open source projects
licence [1], if that is not how Haiku Inc. is funding Haikuports being
on Atlassian Bitbucket already.

Its main technical introduction is found here [2],  it's sales pitch is
found here [3], Drupal plugin for Crowd [4], Crowd plugin for Trac [5],
Python library for Crowd connected apps [6] and a plugin for extra LDAP
support [7].

Openid-Connect is another option, although since the main/dominant 3rd
party provider of this is Google+, it might not be a popular move to use it.

Regards,
Richard.

[1] https://www.atlassian.com/software/views/open-source-license-request
[2] https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CROWD/Introduction+to+Crowd