[haiku-depot-web] Re: Unknown Natural Languages

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-depot-web@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2014 09:50:39 +0200

Am 23.09.2014 21:42, schrieb Andrew Lindesay:
Hello Stephan;

By convention, if you refer to to an object (such as natural language)
and it is not there then the application server will throw the
"ObjectNotFoundException".  I'd prefer if it did that consistently to
avoid confusion.

I don't think it makes sense in this case. If I am asking the web application to get descriptions in German, and there are none for a given package, I get no description and use the English one embedded in the package. I don't understand why there is the concept of "supported" languages at all. Why not let users add description translations in the web interface and freely specify a valid lanugage code. Then it is solely a matter of what translations are available, instead of that, plus the restriction of "supported" languages.

What I mean is that the natural language code works like a "hint" for supported languages, but it suddenly prevents the entire request from working for unsupported language codes, so it changes from being a "hint" to acting like a "requirement" that cannot be fulfilled.

Best regards,
-Stephan