[haiku-depot-web] Re: Title "localization"

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-depot-web@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2015 09:29:42 +0100

Am 18.03.2015 um 00:08 schrieb Alexander G. M. Smith:
Stephan Aßmus wrote on Tue, 17 Mar 2015 18:09:27 +0100:
[...] Eventually, we should provide the infrastructure to meet this
demand. I can see how depot.haiku-os.org would be extended for this in
the future. Then it would also be the place to upload your meta data
when you publish your app. Just like with BeBits or HaikuWare.

Okay, that would be good.  Currently the only way into Haiku Depot is via
HaikuPorts, which isn't suitable for all software (such as commercial
programs where source isn't available).  Having functionality like BeBits /
Haikuware would answer my worries about developers being able to update
repositories.

I think it /should/ not be inside the package on the end user PC. And it
seems like you tend to agree, since you are thinking how to avoid this
"package bloat" above. Then however, your last argument is pointless.
And it doesn't seem to be a real world problem you are trying to solve.
Other systems don't try to solve this either.

So long as there is a web interface that has the screen shots and
translated text, then good old wget will work for archival use.  And people
can trade around .hpkgs without having to see the metadata, so I'll have to
agree that it is not very important (though if metadata was included in
.hpkgs, you'd be able to see screen shots and translated text in Haiku
Depot for installed apps even without an Internet connection).

I am not convinced that this use-case is worth having the packages all bloated and the inflexibility of having to update the packages just to update screenshots and other meta data.

In any case, all changes require someone to perform them. Be it your proposed inclusion of screenshots into packages, or be it the extension of the depot platform to allow third party developers to upload and publish their stuff.

For now, the next sensible goal is to have a fully automatic package building infastructure which can build all HaikuPorts packages from scratch and ensure that the dependencies are all actually fulfilled and all the packages compatible. Then all working HaikuPorts receipes should be included in the HaikuPorts repo. As it is now, you need commit access to Haiku in order to publish a package, even just a HaikuPorts one. That cannot remain the status quo for long. But again, it needs someone to perform these changes. It helps to have a common vision though. :-)

Best regards,
-Stephan