[haiku-depot-web] Re: Title "localization"

  • From: "Alexander G. M. Smith" <agmsmith@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-depot-web@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2015 19:08:58 -0400 EDT

Stephan Aßmus wrote on Tue, 17 Mar 2015 18:09:27 +0100:
> [...] Eventually, we should provide the infrastructure to meet this
> demand. I can see how depot.haiku-os.org would be extended for this in
> the future. Then it would also be the place to upload your meta data
> when you publish your app. Just like with BeBits or HaikuWare.

Okay, that would be good.  Currently the only way into Haiku Depot is via
HaikuPorts, which isn't suitable for all software (such as commercial
programs where source isn't available).  Having functionality like BeBits /
Haikuware would answer my worries about developers being able to update
repositories.

> I think it /should/ not be inside the package on the end user PC. And it
> seems like you tend to agree, since you are thinking how to avoid this
> "package bloat" above. Then however, your last argument is pointless.
> And it doesn't seem to be a real world problem you are trying to solve.
> Other systems don't try to solve this either.

So long as there is a web interface that has the screen shots and
translated text, then good old wget will work for archival use.  And people
can trade around .hpkgs without having to see the metadata, so I'll have to
agree that it is not very important (though if metadata was included in
.hpkgs, you'd be able to see screen shots and translated text in Haiku
Depot for installed apps even without an Internet connection).

- Alex