[haiku-depot-web] Re: Title "localization"

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-depot-web@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2015 18:09:27 +0100

Am 17.03.2015 um 17:11 schrieb Alexander G. M. Smith:
Stephan Aßmus wrote on Tue, 17 Mar 2015 16:47:59 +0100:
Am 17.03.2015 um 16:21 schrieb Alexander G. M. Smith:
Axel Dörfler wrote on Mon, 16 Mar 2015 12:17:18 +0100:
I think it makes perfect sense to put the default pretty name into the
package itself. For one, it's pretty much no work for the packager to
add this information, and then, I think it makes sense to have that
information available in the CLI tools, too.

Besides the readable title (possibly in multiple languages) and
description (currently present only in English), how about having other
metadata in the .hpkg?  It would be nice to have the screen shot and an
icon.  Carried to its logical conclusion, everything you'd need for
displaying the package in an Application store (like the Apple App
Store) could be in the .hpkg.

This is a terrible idea. Much less flexible than now, and the packages
are much bigger for a reason that only affects looking at the package in
HaikuDepot.

You're assuming one repository.  I'm assuming no data synchronization
between multiple repositories.  How does the app maker get screen shots,
descriptions and that sort of thing into multiple repositories, or even into
Haiku Depot? (is that future feature - developer logins?)

To avoid the .hpkg bloat, maybe the metadata could be stored in a separate
file for upload to repositories when an app is submitted.  The author could
make that metadata available on their web site beside the .hpkg so that
the app could be easily added to other repositories.  Though this is
somewhat awkward when compared to putting repository metadata in the .hpkg.

As soon as you separate this stuff from the package, to me it sounds like any solution would be equivalent to what we have now.

As a developer you need to have you app where users can see it. Publishing in some obscure repository, possibly even your private repository, is not in your best interest. Private repositories could be handy for companies that want to host a selection of software and control the updates. But the most common situation would be that developers want to publish in a repo that users don't even need to configure. Eventually, we should provide the infrastructure to meet this demand. I can see how depot.haiku-os.org would be extended for this in the future. Then it would also be the place to upload your meta data when you publish your app. Just like with BeBits or HaikuWare.

 From the future archivist's point of view, it's also too easy to lose the
metadata when the repository vanishes since it's not inside the .hpkg on
end user's PCs.  Same for people exchanging .hpkgs with each other
outside the repository system; it would be nice to have more metadata.

I think it /should/ not be inside the package on the end user PC. And it seems like you tend to agree, since you are thinking how to avoid this "package bloat" above. Then however, your last argument is pointless. And it doesn't seem to be a real world problem you are trying to solve. Other systems don't try to solve this either.

Best regards,
-Stephan