[haiku-depot-web] Re: Categories (was: Effect of updated descriptions on localizations)

  • From: luroh <lurohh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-depot-web@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2015 18:57:25 +0100

@ Andrew: No offense taken. We currently have a good starting point
but you are right, we need to ruminate and maybe iterate a bit on this
before putting in more work actually categorizing things. In any case,
thank you for making the changes.

Humdinger wrote:

> I'd leave the _devel packages in the same category as the main
> package, because they are then more easily found when you already
> located the main package. People not interested in _devels have the
> menu "Show development packages" disabled anyway.

Good point, I agree,

> WRT libraries, I'm not sure. They do blow up the Development category
> quite a bit...
> It didn't occur to me that some packages just don't get categorized.
> But I see the sense now for libraries. Filtering for "Development" a
> user might only want to see what development related apps are
> available. If he needs a specific libarary, he'll search for it
> specifically.

Yes, the Development category could become useful this way, and as you
say, advanced users and developers likely won't use category filtering
anyway.

> Maybe 'Business and Productivity'.

Sounds good to me.

Another thing we discussed briefly on IRC a couple of weeks ago was
what to do with fonts. I believe we ended up agreeing to use the
Graphics category for the time being but the possibility of creating a
separate Fonts category was also mentioned. The reason for having a
Fonts category would be to prevent the Graphics category from becoming
cluttered with potentially hundreds of fonts. Thoughts?

- luroh