[haiku-depot-web] Re: Categories?

  • From: Andrew Lindesay <apl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-depot-web@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 22:51:38 +1300

Hi Stephan;

Opps; I had meant to also coalesce video into Multimedia!

Packages can appear in multiple categories so I wonder if it might be worthwhile to broaden the options a little bit more. I had a quick think about what sort of thing might possibly appear in the following categories and it may be best to divide-up the graphics area further...

* Music and Audio
 - Audio Player
 - Music Library
 - MIDI
* Video
 - VLC
* 2D Graphics
 - Inkscape
 - Wonderbrush
* 3D Graphics
 - Blender 3D
* Games
 - ...
* Education
 - Counting for Kids
 - Multilingual Dictionaries
* Business and Productivity
 - Document Readers
 - Accounting
 - Word Processors
* System and Utilities
 - vi, awk, grep, ..
 - Screensavers
 - Java
 - KVM
 - Drivers
* Internet and Network
 - Browsers
 - IRC
 - Email
* Software Development
 - gcc
 - Paladin
 - NetBeans
* Science and Mathematics
 - Neural net simulator
 - Calculator

Has anybody any other thoughts or examples that don't fit well?

cheers.

On 28/02/14 9:43 pm, Stephan Aßmus wrote:
Hi,

On 28.02.2014 09:30, Andrew Lindesay wrote:
Thank you for the feedback.  I have refined things with a combination of
the two;

* Games
* Business
* Multimedia
* Education
* Productivity
* System and Utilities
* Internet and Network
* Video
* Software Development
* Graphics
* Science and Mathematics

I'll run with those for now and we'll see how things pan out!

I definitely like "System an Utilities" a lot better than "Theming",
"Accessories" and "Accessibility".

What I am not so happy with is "Multimedia", "Graphics" and "Video". It
feels like a lot of overlap. I would definitely drop "Video" if there is
already "Multimedia". Maybe even "Graphics". A lot of apps (alright,
maybe not Haiku apps at the moment, but maybe later) do a lot of things.
WonderBrush could fit into "Graphics" now, but what if I add animation
and sound? Then it suddenly migrates into "Multimedia"...

Somewhat the same with "Business" and "Productivity". Accounting apps go
into "Business" and office suits go into "Productivity"? I could imagine
dropping "Business", but maybe there would be enough apps which clearly
fit "Business" best. Maybe keep that for now...

However, if apps can appear in multiple categories, then maybe keep the
list as above and just add "Audio" to complement "Video"... maybe I'd
favor that. Sorry for thinking loudly... :-)

Best regards,
-Stephan

--
Andrew Lindesay