[haiku-cdt] Re: [openbeos-cdt] Re: Replicants (summary 1)

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-cdt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 09:36:21 +0100

Hi,

On 2009-11-18 at 07:44:53 [+0100], Humdinger <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> The above won't get rid of the "Show/Hide Replicant" setting yet, but how
> about this:
>
> * Remove "Show/Hide Replicant" from Deskbar.
> * Show Replicants by default.
> * Add a "Show/Hide all Replicants" to every Replicant's context menu.
>
> When newbie users first encounter a Replicant handle (they are shown by
> default), they'll right-click on it sooner or later. They discover the
> setting "Show/Hide all Replicants". Try it out. "Oops, where's the fugly
> handle?". Mouse-over. "Ah!" Toggle on/off/on/off/on/off. Lesson learnt.

I don't like it so much, because it doesn't solve the problem that once the
user has turned replicant handles off, he doesn't realize new replicants
when he sees them. I would favor a solution that shows the replicant
handles as soon as the mouse is anywhere over the replicant view (fading in
fast and out more slowly). Windows uses this technique to generally remove
some clutter from the screen. Maybe you have noticed how in the Explorer,
treeview handles get faded out when the mouse is not inside the view. Of
course it adds some potentially distracting animation to the screen, but at
the same time it does help the problem to hide stuff that is not necessary
and distracting/ugly at the same time. If the items being animated in and
out of view are small enough to begin with, I think it's a good solution.

All that being said, it is currently technically not possible to fade these
views in/out, at least not in a non-hacky way. And I cannot think of a good
hacky way ATM...

Best regards,
-Stephan