[haiku-cdt] Re: [openbeos-cdt] Re: Replicants

  • From: Eddy Groen <eddyspeeder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-cdt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 14:41:36 +0100

2009/11/17 Humdinger <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> -- Axel Dörfler, on Mon, 16 Nov 2009 14:47:00 +0100:
> > "Humdinger" <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Since the handle is only need for the actual replication from its
> > > mother app and if you want to move or delete the Replicant, I don't
> > > see why anyone should have "Show Replicants" (which really should
> > > be
> > > called "Show Replicant Handle") activated at all. When you discover
> > > a new
> > > app, activate the handles to see if any are around, then deactivate
> > > again.
> >
> > But that's not really a good solution. I think it would be much nicer
> > if the "hands" would be visible on mouse over when they are disabled,
> > or have at least some way to delete the replicant. Moving/resizing
> > would indeed also be nice.
>
> Good idea, then you wouldn't have to toggle the "Show Replicant"
> setting.

This is why I proposed the translucid black triangle sliding into the right
bottom corner when hovering your mouse over it. It does away with the fairly
ugly hand and does what is proposed by Humdinger & Axel. One may consider
that the replicant functionality only works after the slide-in animation has
finished, so that people don't accidentally start dragging a replicant
around. When they see the triangle, they'd be more like: "hey, what does
this thing do?" This also solves Humdinger's problem with the fading handle
at startup getting annoying.

I totally agree that turning it on and off is not really a good solution,
while this is basically what most people (including me) do, again because
the hands are ugly. Also, I agree that "show replicants" is incorrect and
should say "show replicant handle" or "show the ugly hand" or something.

> 2. Show all visible handles while using the "window manager" key
> combo, CTRL+ALT for now, that's used to move windows and between
> workspaces.

Are replicants really that important that they need a key combination as
well?

>  3. Show handles while a window is moved or resized. Again the fading
> effect to prompt a later mouse-over.

Disagree. Replicants don't have anything to do with moving or resizing that
window.

Eddy