[openbeos-cdt] Re: Replicants

  • From: "Humdinger" <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos-cdt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 18:27:24 +0100

-- Eddy Groen, on Fri, 13 Nov 2009 10:48:46 +0100:
> Like I said, the idea is beautiful. But I find myself hardly using
> them,
> basically for two reasons:
> 1. I have "use replicants" off on default, because the "replicant
> hand" is
> obnoxiously present.

Since the handle is only need for the actual replication from its
mother app and if you want to move or delete the Replicant, I don't see
why anyone should have "Show Replicants" (which really should be called
"Show Replicant Handle") activated at all. When you discover a new app,
activate the handles to see if any are around, then deactivate again.

> 2. The outcome of a replicated application embedded in the Desktop
> isn't
> very pretty:

I give you that. I don't know, can devs do anything when implementing
Replicant support for a view? Maybe better use of transparency?

> I see great potential for them becoming the Haiku-way of presenting
> widgets
> to the user (Clock being a pretty obvious example of that).

I always took a clock replicant as a demo-only thing. There's a
perfectly fine clock in the deskbar. Why hide a slowly readyble analog
clock somewhere below all window on the Desktop? :)

Anyway, IMO replicants only make functional sense in some other
container than Desktop; either in the Deskbar or between applications.

So, what could be improved:

* MOST importantly, but a Tracker issue: Tracker must not put files
under a replicant! Totally annoying.

* Moving replicants only does an outline of the cloned view. Depending
on your background picture, this makes placing it difficult. Having it
semi-transparent like a dragged ShowImage clipping would solve that.

* Resizing isn't possible. The Replicant handle could offer a "Resize
Replicant" item which would resize the view from the bottom-right
corner. I don't know, however, if there are some limitations here on
how the Replicant technology works deep down.

Other than that, it's finding other useful places for Replicants, like
including shelfing capabilities in the Deskbar, as Michael pointed out.

Regards,
Humdinger

Deutsche Haiku News @ http://www.haiku-gazette.de