[openbeos-cdt] Re: Haiku Mint

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos-cdt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 12:28:01 -0500

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 8:40 AM, Eddy Groen <eddyspeeder@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Nice work! If this were Facebook, I'd hit "Like".

Yeah this looks pretty nice. Of course I installed the latest Mint on
one of my machines a few weeks ago and I liked the looks.

But I think to complete the look the GUI components would need to be
tweaked some too.

By the way if we design any really good alternative window decorators,
the app_server is designed to support different decorators. I don't
think they could be implemented as plug-ins since obviously that would
be risky to the app_server, and we can't have it crashing. But they
could be added internally as long as they are well tested. Of course
I'm not sure how much time the other developers would want to invest
in this. Also while it is possible to have any kind of window
decorator, in general I think we would want to keep the tabs. Partly
for the BeOS heritage but also because of things like the window
stacking from stack and tile.

> Just not very fond of the
> translucid tabs. They don't feel right to me somehow.

If you guys read my presentation from the Florida Linux Show [1] I
complained about the translucent window borders from the Windows Aero
interface. It is just one of those stupid, useless, hard on the eyes,
bad interface designs that just happens to look sort of cool. And
while the translucent inactive windows in Mint aren't quite as bad,
they are pretty close.

1. http://ryanleavengood.com/haiku/florida_linux_show/presentation.html

--
Regards,