[openbeos-cdt] Re: Border for resizing (was: Re: Areas of interest for CDT)

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos-cdt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 14:38:21 -0500

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 2:10 PM, Humdinger <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Maybe the only solution is to to implement border-resizing and have
> everyone try out if it makes their life miserable.

While we generally want to avoid having too many options in Haiku, one
short-term solution would be to make this choice a checkbox that
defaults to border move. Then people could try border resizing and if
most prefer that it could become the default (and maybe the option
could then be removed.)

> I, too, think CTRL+ALT should become a "window managing shortcut":
>
> * CTRL+ALT+Cursor: Workspace switching (+SHIFT takes the window)
> [implemented]

The +SHIFT to take a window to the workspace (good idea) is not
currently implemented as far as I can tell. At least in the alpha
release.

> * CTRL+ALT+ClickBorder: Resize window [to be implemented?)

I had that thought and I think it is a good idea, and it should not be
too hard to implement.

> If we want to ease the border-aiming, we could do something like this:
> http://picasaweb.google.com/HumdingerB/Mockups#5403667097514157138
> (Everything with nicer colors and symbols, of course.)
>
> A window transform grid is overlayed over every window when pressing
> CTRL+ALT.

That is indeed a neat idea, though the overlay could definitely take
some graphic design to look good. And without graphics acceleration it
might be a bit slow or flickery. Though maybe not, it is worth trying
out.

> Maybe change it to a simpler OPT combo? Also a good candidate for
> special mouse button mapping.

Well OPT (the Windows key on most keyboards) is already being used for
the Stack and Tile stuff, though with thought all these functions
might be doable with the OPT key based shortcut, depending on the
context. All the above for moving, resizing, and workspace switching
plus if OPT is held and the tab is clicked then stack and tile mode is
turned on.

Again it is worth experimenting with. Maybe some of the more
disruptive UI experiments could be done in the stack and tile branch.
Too bad it is already named that, I think new-ui or ui-experiments
might have been better and more generic.

--
Regards,
Ryan