[haiku-cdt] Re: Border for resizing

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-cdt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 16:21:59 +0100

On 2009-11-23 at 23:37:05 [+0100], Humdinger <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> -- Stephan Assmus, on Mon, 23 Nov 2009 23:19:22 +0100:
> >
> > On 2009-11-23 at 21:47:08 [+0100], Ryan Leavengood
> > <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
> > > wrote:
> > > I'm starting to wonder if resizing is really that common of a
> > > behavior to
> > > need this feature. In general I would keep the move to back behavior.
> >
> > That would be my concern exactly. I like the idea to toggle to resizing
> > when clicking a window border with the ALT+CMD combo much better.
>
> OTOH, having every area of a window react the same when ALT+CMD+LMB-drag
> (move) and ALT+CMD-RMB-drag (resize) has it's charm. Only resizing when
> dragging and still sending to back when there was no dragging before
> mouse-up sounds OK as well.

Ok, one could change the app_server behaviour for right-clicking, let me
explain: Left-clicking is used both for changing a window stack position
(bringing it to the front), as well as dragging and resizing. App_server
simply waits until the mouse button is released to decide if the stack
index should be changed (at least in FFM mode). For right-clicking it is
different: A window is immediately moved behind all windows on mouse down,
not mouse up. This could be changed, even improving consistency. When the
user moved the mouse between clicking and releasing, then the stack
position is not changed, just like left-clicking, and right-clicking plus
dragging can be reused without interfering with existing behaviour.

Best regards,
-Stephan