[haiku-appserver] Re: width buffer

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-appserver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 21:39:13 +1300

On 2006-12-18 at 20:56:01 [+1300], Stefano Ceccherini
<stefano.ceccherini@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 2006/12/16, Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>:
>
> Hi Stephan,
>
> > the width buffer is a huge performance boost to all BTextViews in Haiku.
> > What bug did I have to fix again so that we can re-enable the width
> > buffer?
>
> The width buffer only works if the font uses B_BITMAP_SPACING (or
> B_CHAR_SPACING, should be the same), because it calculates the string
> width by adding the widths of single characters. Currently, we are
> using B_STRING_SPACING, if I am not mistaken, so the total width of a
> string depends not only by the widths of the single characters but
> also by the positions of the characters in the string. Using the width
> buffer in these circumstances makes the font rendering appear corrupt.

Ah, ok. Sorry I had forgot about that... :-)

Since it looks worthwhile to work some more on all the font stuff in the
app_server, I might look into that hopefully soon. (But I will have a gap
in development beginning in January until end of March. That's when I will
be travelling around in New Zealand with my girlfriend.)

BTW, would your unfinished new BRegion implementation come with a good
speed up? :-) It would be cool to have it finally available!