[haiku-appserver] Re: width buffer

  • From: "Stefano Ceccherini" <stefano.ceccherini@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-appserver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 08:56:01 +0100

2006/12/16, Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>:

Hi Stephan,

the width buffer is a huge performance boost to all BTextViews in Haiku.
What bug did I have to fix again so that we can re-enable the width buffer?

The width buffer only works if the font uses B_BITMAP_SPACING (or
B_CHAR_SPACING, should be the same), because it calculates the string
width by adding the widths of single characters. Currently, we are
using B_STRING_SPACING, if I am not mistaken, so the total width of a
string depends not only by the widths of the single characters but
also by the positions of the characters in the string. Using the width
buffer in these circumstances makes the font rendering appear corrupt.