[haiku-appserver] Re: we need to think, I think...

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-appserver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 17:02:19 +0200 CEST

Adi Oanca <adioanca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>       Now, I'm very curios in your opinions. What do you have to say?

Considering the fact that write locking is only needed when something
on screen is changed, I think we can safely switch to what Stephan has
in mind (or you have for the Desktop :-)). I can't really see any
advantages of the current design in terms of speed, I only see that it
complicates things unnecessarily.

Also, IMO RootLayer does too much. For example, why does it own the
Workspaces objects? While RootLayer may need to react on changes made
to them, I can hardly see a reason why it encapsulates them and hides
them from others.
Ideally, RootLayer would only care about compositing and clipping, IMO.