[haiku-appserver] Re: progress and status

  • From: "Stephan Assmus" <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-appserver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 02:11:21 +0200 CEST

Hi,

> > we've come pretty far. :-) In fact, I think we're not =5Fthat=5F far
> > away
> > from announcing some kind of a milestone! The hard work of so many
> > people is /showing/ some results in the literal meaning of the
> > word.
> > :-
> > )
> I agree completely. It's hard for me to keep up with you and Adi
> doing
> so much.

Not just the two of us. Stefano, Michael and J=E9r=F4me have been doing
lots of work too!

(BTW, regarding the list, I forgot to mention scrolling. Even though
CopyBits() is correctly implemented, we need to take care of moving
child views yet.)

> > - drawing bitmaps (never tested)
> > - support for views attached to bitmaps (completely missing yet=3F)
> Bitmap support isn't all that important, but it shouldn't be all that
> difficult, either. Most of the BBitmap code is there, already, from
> allocation to DrawBitmap. The actual allocation and freeing of
> BBitmaps
> was something that I tested and it worked quite some time ago. It may
> have been broken by all the different changes that have been made,
> but
> it would likely only need a little tweaking to fix it in such a case.
> View-attached BBitmaps may take a little work.

The Painter thing is actually attachable to any kind of frame buffer
(precisely, a RenderingBuffer instance). Currently, it only supports 32
bit pixel formats, and this is a problem for full compatibility of
course. Some refactoring needs to be done in order to make the design
cleaner. (DisplayDriver should be responsible for less stuff, it should
be separated from HWInterface.)

> > For a demonstration, I envision some kind of test app with
> > different
> > kinds of controls in it, which also demonstrates that these
> > actually
> > work with messaging and all.
> mphipps wants us to do that very thing. I've been meaning to mention
> it, but I've been forgetting to. Something to demonstrate/user test
> each of the GUI controls. The different kinds of controls should
> probably be on different tabs, as well.

Yes, in the following days, I will see what works and what doesn't.
BSliders are of course a "must have", so the direct drawing needs to be
implemented for them. I'm suspecting that BRadioControl will work out
of the box. BMenuField needs BMenus to work, which was on the top of
that list... :-)

> > Anything else I have forgotten=3F
> Testing with regular applications would be a good thing. All that
> needs
> to be done is to make a BeIDE project with whatever regular sources
> you
> want plus ColorUtils.cc, PortLink, and LinkMsgReader/Writer, and then
> set the include paths to the ones in the tree. Libraries need to be
> libopenbeos instead of libbe (obviously). Once you've got all that,
> dump in whatever sources you want.

It's actually much easier. Just make a "lib" folder where the app is
that you want to test. Move or link "libopenbeos.so" into that folder
and rename it to "libbe.so". The app should then launch inside the
Haiku app=5Fserver running on R5. Of course, theoretically, the app
should also run on Haiku directly.

> For example, ButtonWorld doesn't work right yet - clicking the button
> makes it disappear and then reappear on mouse up. The window title
> doesn't get updated, either. When resizing, the window tab isn't
> resized when the window width is less than the tab's width.

Yes. There are some things missing from my list that we need to fix
before encouraging people to try Haiku by some kind of milestone
announcement.

With regard to ButtonWorld... I have not personally tested it. From
time to time I try out People. The problem with ButtonWorld might be
related to synchronous controls versus non-synchronous controls windows
(I say that without having looked at the source even). I don't think we
support the (deprecated) synchronous way of things too well. "Normal"
BButtons certainly work in my test apps.

> I know what we need for a milestone: the Haiku Terminal. mphipps was
> asking about it in the admin meeting, so I tried it out. This is what
> got: http://darkwyrm.beemulated.net/terminal.png

Yes, it looks like the same problems I see with People. Any and all
help investigating these is certainly appreciated. Adi is working on
new code for rebuilding clipping regions, moving, scrolling and
resizing views, and it might well fix these problems. That being said,
the current implementation is working well enough for some "demo" of
the functional controls. I don't want to put any pressure on you, Adi.

> It works, but selection is wonky and redraw obviously doesn't work
> very
> well, but it actually works under R5 in the server.  I'd like to see
> if
> we can push to getting it looking better. I can live with bugs, but
> IMO
> a screenshot's gotta look at least OK for public consumption when
> news
> breaks. Anyone have any objections to this=3F

I'm certainly with you on the "at least it has to look good" thing.
First impressions matter, and we should not make complete fools of
ourselves. We have no reason to rush anything. It is fully ok to have
parts missing in our Haiku app=5Fserver compared to the R5 app=5Fserver.
But the parts that we do "demo", should actually work. IOW, what is
build by makehdimage should work. So we might decide to stick with
MiniTerminal for the time being. For what it matters, all that it
really misses from the real Terminal for "crucial" functionality is the
scroll bars. I can live with that.