[haiku-appserver] progress and status

  • From: "Stephan Assmus" <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-appserver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 20:19:30 +0200 CEST

Hi all,

we've come pretty far. :-) In fact, I think we're not _that_ far away
from announcing some kind of a milestone! The hard work of so many
people is /showing/ some results in the literal meaning of the word. :-
)

I see the following things which need to get fixed or implemented
before an announcement: (of course, the list is open for discussion as
well as *if* we should announce something at all...)

- finding out why BMenus don't work (might be hard)
- redrawing only views which get invalidated, not all their children as
well (cosmetical)
- handling B_FULL_UPDATE_ON_RESIZE (should be easy, Adi would know)
- watching out for BView::ViewColor() == B_TRANSPARENT_COLOR (small
fix)
- fixing DisplayDriverPainter::StringWidth() to support whitespaces
(me)
- implementing the B_ASYNCHRONOUS_CONTROLS version of mouse handling in
BTextView (should be easy)
- fixing some cosmetical glitches in BTextView

Things which I think are not *that* important for a first milestone:

- drawing bitmaps (never tested)
- support for views attached to bitmaps (completely missing yet?)

For a demonstration, I envision some kind of test app with different
kinds of controls in it, which also demonstrates that these actually
work with messaging and all.

In order to be able to push back bitmap attached views for later, we
should review some of the controls that currently use offscreen bitmaps
to draw into. Bitmaps with views attached are quite a heavy resource.
With a lot of such controls (think many BSliders), you can get into
trouble (talking about R5). Back in the days, Be acknowledged the
problem and promised BSliders with direct drawing. Flickering is *not*
a problem which can only be solved with an offscreen bitmap. It can
also be solved by taking a little more care in the Draw()
implementation and which parts exactly to invalidate within a control.
In fact, the only case where flickering cannot be avoided is when
drawing text. However, the label of a control seldomly needs redrawing.

Anything else I have forgotten?

Cheers and best regards to everyone,
-Stehpan