[haiku-appserver] Re: private development

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-appserver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 02:24:47 +0100 CET

"DarkWyrm" <bpmagic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> For quite a while there weren't really any official tests because
> putting them together was very much a hack. That is no longer the
> case
> because the App and Interface Kits are far enough that you can use
> most
> classes to some degree. If you want to build the app_server and run
> it
> under R5 like Adi and Gabe and I do for development, you'll need to
> add
> two lines to your .profile:
>
> export COMPILE_FOR_R5=1
> export RUN_WITHOUT_REGISTRAR=1

BTW you don't have to put this in your .profile, you can also specify
them on the command line, or call jam like this:
$ COMPILE_FOR_R5=1 RUN_WITHOUT_REGISTRAR=1 jam

Of course, you can also put that line in a script if you're a lazy
typer :)

> > > Amen to that.
> > > I would volunteer to clean up the app_server repository a bit,
> > > and
> > > also to try to have it built for Haiku when target=haiku, and for
> > > R5
> > > testing otherwise.
> Fine by me. :)

Okay, I'll try to do this next week, or maybe even tomorrow.

> it would take me to jump to the Terminal and type it. Building takes
> less time, too -- jam is nice when it comes to editing files, but it
> just takes what seems like forever before it even starts compiling
> anything. Then again, perhaps I'm just too impatient.

Sure, BeIDE is a bit faster, but since Ingo made this stat cache server
(that you have to run previously, though), it's not really a problem
anymore (for me).

> > As for target=haiku/r5, maybe there could be some information about
> > this somewhere. I have only a very foggy idea, what this actually
> > means

I was referring to the arguments you pass on to the configure script,
or what TARGET_PLATFORM says in build/BuildScript afterwards (you can
override this with every jam invokation like above, too).

> From the standpoint of power, yes, jam is *much* more powerful. I
> just
> happen to find BeIDE much easier for me to use. I apologize if things
> have been confusing for you -- I am very right-brained in a lot of
> respects -- I'm a musician, after all --   and many times what makes
> sense to me is utter confusion for others.

What a cheap excuse ;-)