[haiku-appserver] Re: private development

  • From: "Rudolf" <drivers.be-hold@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-appserver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 12:00:24 +0200 CEST

Hi,

Sorry I am slow in responding: busy with RL and GL :)

Currently I am working on doing Direct access to the GLWindow, blitting
backbuffer to front: so it's fun reading this stuff now :)
(Blitting will use DirectConnected, while software GL does not)

> BTW I really think we can (and should) reduce this a bit more - the
> whole UI stands still during that period, so the BDirectWindow should
> never take that long anyway for one update.
> Of course, I don't know yet how this would affect software GL stuff,

The software GL stuff doesn't use direct access: it just uses standard
drawing functions (like drawing a bitmap). The app_server takes care of
clipping and timing, etc.

If the framerate of a GL app is slow, it's not because of drawing back
to front, but because of GL rendering in the backbuffer. This is
totally decoupled from the app_Server etc. (all AFAIK ATM of course :)

> but that shouldn't be too hard to find out; and in general, I guess
> we
> can safely consider anything that comes even close to half a second
> can
> be considered as a bug. Therefore, I think we might as well kill apps
> that need more than 1 second for its drawings.

I would agree, with my limited knowledge here :)