[haiku-appserver] Re: private development

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-appserver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 18:29:15 +0200 CEST

Stefano Ceccherini <burton666@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> BDirectWindow acquires this semaphore, calls
> BDirectWindow::DirectConnected()
> so that the client can update its data, and then it releases another
> semaphore
> (which the app server was trying to acquire with a timeout of 3
> seconds. If this
> times out, the app server crashes the application (yes, you've read
> well)).

BTW I really think we can (and should) reduce this a bit more - the
whole UI stands still during that period, so the BDirectWindow should
never take that long anyway for one update.
Of course, I don't know yet how this would affect software GL stuff,
but that shouldn't be too hard to find out; and in general, I guess we
can safely consider anything that comes even close to half a second can
be considered as a bug. Therefore, I think we might as well kill apps
that need more than 1 second for its drawings.

Bye,
   Axel.