[haiku-appserver] Re: private development

  • From: "Stephan Assmus" <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-appserver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 21:21:13 +0100 CET

> "Stephan Assmus" <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:
> [...]
> > with "digging in", I would welcome it, if there would be test
> > applications in the Haiku tree. I mean, so that what gets build by
> > the
> > jam system is actually the real thing, with everything it needs to
> > run
> > for testing it. What do you think?
>
> Amen to that.
> I would volunteer to clean up the app_server repository a bit, and
> also
> to try to have it built for Haiku when target=haiku, and for R5
> testing
> otherwise.

While this would be very nice, let's hear what the other team members
have to say, and I would also be interested, why for example DarkWyrm
prefers BeIDE. Maybe the Haiku build system can be improved, if there
is something BeIDE can do, which is not possible in the Haiku build
environment.

As for target=haiku/r5, maybe there could be some information about
this somewhere. I have only a very foggy idea, what this actually means
(like which libraries is linked with), and I could use some information
as to how to prepare Jamfiles to work with these settings. When I
integrated Painter with the Haiku build system and prepared the painter
test program, I was mainly looking into other similar Jamfiles and
tried to wrap my head arround this. I ended up phoning Ingo and he
worked me through what I needed to do. I think the Haiku build system
is actually pretty powerful, probably much more powerful than BeIDE
(though that's really just a guess), but if these issues were more
clear and the possibilities documented, it would be easier to switch
from BeIDE to the Haiku build system.